Tuesday, April 13, 2010

first time at the tournament

Well last Sunday was my first trip to a tournament, and it was something I regret to not have gone before. It was totally new to me and I learned so much from it. The first thing we were all doing was forms. I had to wait a little but I watched and studied every one's form. I saw a few salutes that I thought were cool and two forms that I thought were the coolest I've seen. When I went up they told I'm automatically in the grand champion for being the only one in the advance category. But while doing my form ( pagway 4) I messed up by doing the same steps twice but I didn't stop and I kept going. They gave me a good score, and a ref from the side came up to me and told me that all under belts are allowed to ask for a redo. That he was in the same position as I was, and just to keep training. It was good to hear, it helped a lot (didn't catch his name though), and after what he told me I said thank you and we went on. I competed in the grand champion and although I didn't win, I learned allot from the other competitors.
We then went on to the sparring which wasn't really what I expected, but still I learned allot from everyone. I had to wait a while so I just stood watching the other fights and learning what was the most common kick there. The repeated side kick turned out being common the common one in a few fights. After a while passed by its my turn, now the idea I had was that we were going to a round type of thing going on. First one to seven points wins the first round, but I was wrong and that was were I messed up. I thought I'll keep what I got for the last rounds so I could see what he could do. I went in and I through a few kicks but I didn't go after him. I could of, his movements weren't as fast as I expected, but I gave him that chance to turn around and face me again. For this Mr. Po was my coach, and he was telling to go after him with combinations. but before I knew it was all over, at that point I was confused. I asked to myself did I win or lose, I'm pretty sure I laid more good fast hits on him. The last hit I remember was a punch to his forehead. I quickly turn to what I thought was a score bored(still not sure), a white card had 2 on it and the red one said 4. this got me totally confused, I thought we had to get 7 but I what I was truly doing was waiting for something to happen, I was studying my opponents moves. But they were pretty basic, well against me any ways(don't know if he changed his moves later on in the tournament.), I thought if I through a jump kick it would get him to start using those type of kicks as well so we could start getting more into it. But he stock to the ground and well he stayed there. But I lost and it was a learning experience, I could of had him but with the way I was thinking losing was part of the plan since the beginning.
But it was my first time and I'll be ready for the next tournament. I'm really wishing to cross paths with that martial artist again in the ring so I could actually go all out but for now I guess the best I could do is be patient learn his name and wait till I meet him again, for that rematch and give him a real match.

No comments:

Post a Comment